Are you planning to get dental implants to replace missing teeth? Thanks to advances in dental technology, there is now a convenient alternative option known as mini implants.
They are the ideal solution if you want a less invasive procedure than regular dental implants. Moreover, mini implants eliminate the need for a bone graft if you do not have sufficient jawbone density.
At Saddler Family Dentistry in Berkeley, California, Dr. Saddler offers patients this convenient alternative to traditional dental implants to help them regain their oral function and smile aesthetic.
What Is a Mini Dental Implant?
Mini dental implants (MDIs) are considerably smaller than regular implants. The diameter of mini implants is around 2.5 mm. Their structure is made up of one solid piece that is directly screwed into the jawbone.
Mini implants do not need an abutment as the titanium rod has a ball on one end and a socket with a rubber O-ring that secures the tooth.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants have several benefits, including:
- They help prevent facial collapse
- They encourage bone growth
- They give you a bite force far more robust than dentures and as solid as your natural teeth
- They are less expensive than conventional implants as the procedure is less complex
- Recovery time after mini dental implants is significantly shorter compared to standard dental implants.
How Long Do Mini Dental Implants Last?
Mini dental implants can last a long time with proper care and regular dental checkups.
How Effective Are Mini Implants?
The effectiveness of mini implants varies from individual to individual. Lifestyle choices such as drinking alcohol or tobacco use can adversely impact the success of mini dental implants and decrease their longevity.
The lifespan of mini implants can also be affected by your unique bite pattern. However, Dr. Saddler can resolve this issue before beginning the implant procedure. Additionally, if you have a chronic condition such as diabetes, it is imperative to control excess sugar levels. Otherwise, they can affect the bone healing process after implant placement and weaken the restoration.
How to Maintain Mini Dental Implants?
- The durability of your mini dental implants can be extended by following the same oral hygiene practices you use for looking after your natural teeth, such as:
- Getting regular dental exams and professional cleanings
- Cutting back on smoking and alcohol or avoiding them altogether
- Regularly brushing your teeth and flossing
To find out more about the benefits of mini dental implants, get in touch with our experienced team at Saddler Family Dentistry. You can find us at 1504 Alcatraz Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703, or call us at (510) 653-6424.