Most people will suffer from tooth loss at some point in their life. This could be due to several reasons like tooth decay, injury, or periodontal disease.
At Saddler Family Dentistry in Berkeley, California, we use dental implants, a solid and durable tooth replacement option, to restore our patients’ oral functionality and their smiles when they have been affected by tooth loss.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are synthetic tooth roots that are permanently secured to the jaw bone. They support a prosthetic tooth known as a dental crown.
Dental implants are an ideal replacement option for missing or damaged teeth given their strength, longevity, and completely natural appearance.
A dental implant includes three components;
- A metal post that provides a solid base for the implant and acts as the tooth root
- A connector piece called an abutment that secures the prosthetic tooth to the implant
- A crown restoration that resembles a natural tooth and conceals the dental implant
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Replace missing teeth and restore a patient’s natural smile
- Support the surrounding teeth and prevent shifting
- Preserve the jawbone
- Reduce the risk of additional tooth loss
- Prevent facial sagging and preserve your facial structure
- Restore functions like speaking and eating
- Provide a stable foundation for dentures and bridges
- They can last for a lifetime with efficient care
- They enhance your smile and self-esteem, giving you a better quality of life
Process for Placing Dental Implants
At Saddler Family Dentistry, the dental implant procedure involves several stages. First, a treatment plan is created with a clear picture of the restored smile. Scans and X-rays are taken to guide this process.
To start the procedure, we will administer local anesthesia and Dr. Saddler will make an incision in your gums to place the metal implant into the jawbone. After the insertion, the gums are closed over the implant.
A few months of healing will enable the bone to grow around the implant. After the implant has fused with the bone, an abutment is attached to the dental implant to support the artificial tooth.
A crown is then customized to match the color of your existing natural teeth and placed on top of the implant and abutment to complete the restoration.
If you want to learn more about dental implants and their benefits, visit our office in Berkeley, California, at 1504 Alcatraz Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703. You can also reach Saddler Family Dentistry at (510) 653-6424.